Getting to South Tyrol by train, car and bus
The train is a very easy and comfortable way to reach the Christmas market in South Tyrol. All interregional trains on the Munich-Verona Line stop in Bolzano. From there, you can catch a regional connection to Merano, with departures every half an hour.
Tickets and schedules
- Trenitalia: www.trenitalia.it
- Deutsche Bahn: www.bahn.de
- Österreichische Bahn: www.oebb.at
- Schweizer Bahn: www.sbb.ch
When traveling to the Christmas market by coach, special signs will guide you easily to the city centre. Parking for coaches is provided on Via delle Palade, near the ice-skating rink.
Fifteen-minute parking is available for drop-off/pick-up on Via Piave near the thermal baths.
Take the BOLZANO SUD exit from the A22 motorway (Autostrada del Brennero) and follow the road toward Merano (Merano-Bolzano/MeBo highway). Take the MERANO MAIA BASSA or MERANO CENTER exit, from here you will quickly reach the city centre and one of the most atmospheric Christmas market in South Tyrol.
Merano offers a number of parking choices:
- Parking in “Blue Park” spaces
Blue markings on the ground, purchase ticket from the vending machine.
- Pay lots/garages (shown on the city map).
- “art drive in” car park – Terme Merano.
- “Plaza” car park – Via Goethe.
- “Cantina Sociale di Lagundo” car park – Via Galilei.
- “Karl Wolf” car park – Via Verdi.
- “Minigolf” car park – Via Innerhofer
- You will find free parking on Piazza Prader (you can easily reach the city centre on foot or by city bus (operated by SASA).
Traffic information in South Tyrol
Tel. 0471 200198, www.provinz.bz.it/vmz
The Camping Site Merano is open from 18th of March to 9nd of November 2016 and from 24th November 2016 to 9th January 2017. The area (15.000 sq.mts.) is located in delightfully quiet surroundings only 10 mins. walk from town center and thermal baths. The Camping Site offers a heated open-air pool (end May to mid September), hot water, hot showers and electricity supply. Small general store, restaurant, tennis courts and riding school all nearby.
Info: Camping Merano, via Piave 44, tel. 0473 231249, www.camping-merano.com
Alternative parking possibilites:
- Prader Platz – Piazzale Prader:
Alternative parking possibility for campers, free of charge. This space is a pure parking area and does not offer sanitary facilities or electricity. Moreover, due to the weekly markets parking is prohibited on Tuesdays (half of the parking area) and on Fridays (the whole parking area) from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Not far away from the Prader Platz/Piazzale Prader, in Via 4 Novembre/4.-November-Straße, other parking possibilities are located.
From Prader Platz/Piazzale Prader the city center can be reached in 15 minutes by foot or with the city busses of the bus company SASA.
- Ex-Haller-Parkplatz/Ex Haller parking area (only from 2nd to 4th December and from 8th to 11th December 2016):
Open as required.
At Rennstallweg/Via Scuderie, in close proximity to the train station of Untermais/Maia Bassa. No sanitary facilities or electricity available. Parking is free of charge.
The city center can be reached with the bus line 211 and 212 from the nearby train station of Untermais/Maia Bassa.
- Parking Bersaglio (only from 2nd to 4th December and from 8th to 11th December 2016)
Open as required.
No sanitary facilities or electricity available. Parking is free of charge.
At Schwimmbadstraße/in via Lido. About 10 minutes by foot to the town-center.